Monday, December 16, 2013

To Be or Not To Be...an Idol

       I got stumped. Truth is I get stumped all the time, often in study and research, so my friends do not often see it, but I am open about this. Getting stumped means only that I did not have the answer at the moment, but I knew where to find it. A friend of mine, who is Atheist, looked at me in disbelief when I told her that God speaks to me. She could not fathom my expression as I clarified that I do not hear His words by the usual means of auditory perception, but that I perceive them in my mind and in my heart, as real as any personal communication made to me. More so even. I am not asserting that such communication is daily, at least not in the most powerful of my personal examples, but in softer tones, like wavelets lapping at my furrows, relaxing their contractions and shedding clarity and peace where once there was perplexity and anxiety. This experience is daily, and it feeds my faith.

2.       I digress. To the point. The Latter-day Saints are familiar with a doctrine that is unique to our faith, one we do not frequently dwell on even in discourse among us Saints (Mormons). Subsequently when we do find ourselves discussing the topic with others, more often than not the dialogue is with our fellow Christians outside our faith. Then we are often on the receiving end of their inquiries, some of which are designed to put us on the defensive.

3.       The teaching in question was revealed by Joseph Smith in early 1844. The doctrine was made an aphorism by one of his prophetic successors (a man who in his boyhood knew Joseph Smith personally), Lorenzo Snow:

a.       As man now is, God once was:
As God now is, man may be.

4.       It is no exaggeration to state that there are often gasps at this declaration. In fact, I have never written publicly about this because of a concern that “meat should precede milk”. However, I would like to frame the discussion, set a simple context, and that is all. I am not undertaking in this blog posting to defend the tenet, but merely to clarify what a particular scripture says.

5.       I said I was stumped. The missionaries had invited me to visit with an investigator, and as it turned out she and I had had prior business contact. That reconnection was an enjoyable experience. She posed points that focused on various aspects of the Law of Moses and how it seemed to her that the Book of Mormon character, Nephi, had perhaps not abided the stipulations of the Mosaic Law. Those concerns were easily addressed, and perhaps I could write on them as they are interesting.

6.       Then she posed the following, Isaiah 43:10:

Ye are my witnesses,
saith the LORD,
and my servant whom I have chosen:
that ye may know and believe me,
and understand that I am he:
before me there was no God formed,
neither shall there be after me.

7.       Well, there you have it. This verse, attributed to the prophet Isaiah (which is also my belief and that of my fellow Latter-day Saints), seems not to accommodate the teaching on Godhood put forward by Joseph Smith and his successors, a doctrine which they declared was not outside the Biblical canon but no longer understood until restored in plainness, a doctrine that had been taught by the ancient prophets and the Savior himself (clearly a topic for another posting).

8.       I reiterate, my intention in this posting is not to defend the Latter-day Saint teaching on Godhood, but to set a textual framework, to wit, does Isaiah’s scripture, which we Saints also accept as true and inspired, contradict Joseph Smith’s teaching? Well, the matter hinges on what Isaiah wrote. Here I share my own personal aphorism and essay to lay the matter before the curious reader:

a.       “Never trust a translation.”

9.       That is to say, reliable translations are an interface between the source language text and the intended target language rendition. I hope to make the case for careful comparing between the source language texts and their renditions in other languages, perhaps more than addressing the Isaiah passage itself. So here goes:

10.   Step 1: Get acquainted with a little Hebrew. The Ancient Israelites had three terms that denoted “God”. These are they in transliteration:

a.       Él: God, masculine singular in form, denoting a “powerful leader who held a staff”, or “power and authority”. Note: Hebrew, like Aramaic and Arabic, has never had capital letters. Thus it is only in translations to languages that distinguish between upper- and lower-case letters that the distinction is made, and then according to the translator’s prerogative.

b.      Eloah: God, masculine singular in form, from the root Él extended by the addition of the suffix ­–ōh to form “Eloah” meaning  “God, Deity, one of the Godhead.”

c.       Elohim: The stem “Eloah” is made plural by the addition of –im, the masculine plural ending. Please note that in strict Biblical Hebrew grammar there were three grammatical numbers: singular (one), dual (two, often for natural pairs, such as “eyes”, “feet”, etc.) and plural (three or more). “Elohim” is masculine plural in form, thus it grammatically, at least, denotes at a minimum three. Note: The verbal forms that accompany “Elohim” when it is used to denote “God” (which in English we easily accomplish with an upper-case “G”, though, I repeat, such is not possible in Hebrew) are, with 2 exceptions (both of which are worthy of a blog posting) singular. When “Elohim” is used to denote “gods” as in the expression “have the gods of the nations delivered” (2 Kings 19:12), the verbal forms that accompany “gods” are in the plural.

11.   While on the cross and crying out in agony to God, Jesus employed the first term for God, Él: “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” ‘My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?’ Note: Él + i = “God-my”, or as we say in normative English order, “My God”.

12.   I would not like anyone to understand me to be saying that I disparage translations. Au contraire, I am deeply committed to the great work of translation, at least insofar as my devotion to their study and dissemination is concerned. What I mean is that the careful reader must, not should, but absolutely must become acquainted with both the source and target languages if the student’s intent is to approximate the meaning of source language text, in its current transmission. Take for instance the English preposition “before”:

a.       The preposition “before” has two meanings in English, one is temporal (time) which indicates “in the period preceding”. The second meaning of “before” is spatial (locational) denoting “in front of”. When one reads “before me” in English, the context may not make the intended denotation sufficiently clear: Is it “before me in time” or “before me in space/location”? Often the ambiguity may exist only in the target language. Hold this point in memory, for we shall return to it.

13.   Step 2: The grand context, as I will demonstrate, for Isaiah 43:10 is Exodus 20:1-6, that is, “to follow the true God and not an idolic counterfeit.” I will, however, insert the Hebrew for three relevant terms—God, gods, and the spatial adverb “before”—as the transparency of the source language will shed much clarity:

a.       1: And God [Elohim] spake all these words saying,
b.      2: I am the LORD thy God [Elohim], which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
c.       3: Thou shalt have no other gods [elohim] before me [‘al-pánáya ‘unto my face’, i.e. ‘right in front of me’].
d.      4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
e.      5: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [Elohim] am a jealous God [Él], visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generations of them that hate me;
f.        6: And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

14.   Here we see the term “Elohim” used to denote God, except in verse 5, “for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God”, where “Él” is used in the noun phrase “jealous God”. Just as important to note is the usage of the spatial adverbial “before”, inasmuch as the Hebrew says “unto my face”.

15.   Most Christians are familiar with the “Ten Commandments” from Exodus 20, but fewer have acquainted themselves with their alternate reading from Leviticus 19. The citation is noteworthy:

a.       (Leviticus 19:4): Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods [elohim]: I am the LORD your God [Elohim].

16.   The reader is reminded that it is only in the English transliteration where “elohim”, lower-case “e”, can be contrasted to “Elohim”, upper-case “E”. What is interesting in this citation is that “molten elohim” are contrasted to “the LORD your Elohim”. The contrast is salient, that Elohim, God, could be (but should not be) replaced with an idolic counterfeit.

17.   Step 3: Even God as “Él” can be (but should not be) replaced with an idolic counterpart, Isaiah 46:5-9:

a.       5: To whom will ye liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be like?
b.      6: They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance, and hire a goldsmith; and he maketh it a god [él]: they fall down, yea, they worship.
c.       7: They bear him upon the shoulder, they carry him, and set him in his place, and he standeth; from his place shall he not remove: yea, one shall cry unto him, yet can he not answer, nor save him out of his trouble.
d.      8: Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors.
e.      9: Remember the former things of old: for I am God [Él], and there is none else; I am God [Elohim] and there is none like me.

18.   Here the voice of Deity decries the formation of él as an idol, god, and declares himself to be Él, God, and God makes the distinction between himself, who speaks and moves, and his idolic counterpart, which must be carried and placed, and which cannot answer when addressed. God declares that none of these idolic counterfeits is like him, a real and responsive living God.

19.     Step 4: A temporal adverbial vis-à-vis a spatial adverbial. We saw the use of the spatial adverbial “before”, literally in Hebrew as “unto my face”. A clear usage of the temporal adverbial is to be found in Jeremiah 1:5, where God declares that he both knew and sanctified Jeremiah a prophet before Jeremiah’s birth from the womb.

a.       5: Before [be-terem ‘at-prior’] I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee; and before [be-terem ‘at-prior’] thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

20.   Here we have a clear usage of the temporal or time adverbial “before”, and we learn two important lessons. First, that unlike the English adverb “before” which has two usages, one temporal and the other spatial, which duality can lead to an ambiguity, in Hebrew these two usages are separated between are two separate adverbs. Consequently, the intended meaning (be it temporal or spatial) is clear, in the source language.

21.   Conclusion: As we return to the beginning of the blog posting, we are now much better prepared to understand what Isaiah wrote in chapter 43:10:

Ye are my witnesses,
saith the LORD,
and my servant whom I have chosen:
that ye may know and believe me,
and understand that I am he:
in front of [le-fanay lit. ‘to my face’, ‘in front of me’] me
there was no god [él ‘god’] formed,
neither shall there be behind [akhar ‘behind; after’] me.

22.   The message of this verse is quite different when taken in the context of the Hebrew text. The preposition “before” has two meanings in English, but the preposition used in Hebrew is clearly only a spatial adverb, thus “in front of” is the correct translation. The Hebrew preposition “akhar” means "after", both temporally and spatially (i.e. "behind"). Inasmuch as the pair “before-after” begins clearly spatially, the correct understanding of “akhar” is the spatial usage, “behind”. Therefore, usage of “god” here corresponds to an English “lower-case” “g”, “god”, and is referring to an idol, as we also saw Isaiah clearly describe in chapter 46:6. So the meaning of the KJV phrase “before me there was no God formed nor shall there be after me” is correctly rendered “in front of me there was no god formed nor shall there be behind me”, meaning, “I have never proscribed idol worship, for no idol will stand before me (or between you and me), nor am I in front of an idol as if in service to it.” The phrase has, consequently, no bearing on the Latter-day Saint aphorism on Godhood, neither to promote it nor to disallow it.

23.   One final note: Inasmuch as during the lifetime of the prophet Isaiah the nation of Israel was moving rapidly towards separation into two states and, of greater urgency, embracing the idolatrous religion of its neighbors, neighbors who in many instances worshipped gods of the same names as the Israelites, but whose worship disregarded the voice of God’s prophets and proscribed idol veneration, one of Isaiah’s main messages was to turn from idolatry and return to the true God (Isaiah 2:8):

a.       8: Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

24.   It is not surprising to find, consequently, Isaiah decrying the worship of idols who bear the same names as the Israelite Deity. We saw Isaiah 46:6, but the examples abound, as in 44:8 and 45:14.

a.       44:8: Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? Yea, there is no God. I know not any.
b.      45:14: …Surely God is in thee; and there is none else, there is no God.

25.   I quoted the King James translations, but the more correct rendition from the Hebrew does not leave the reader with the perplexing declarations of “there is no God”:

a.       44:8: Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God [Eloah] but by me? there is not. I know not a (cut) stone [“cut stone”, i.e. “idol”].
b.      45:14: …Surely God [Él] is in thee; and there is no other except God [Elohim].


26.   Oh my. Truly I can understand any reader’s apprehension about delving into the Hebrew (or Aramaic, Greek, Arabic, Armenian, Ge’ez, etc.) of ancient scripture. However, the reader proceeds is entirely within the individual’s discretion. Hopefully, though, the reader will have a healthy mistrust of translations (“never trust a translation…without checking for yourself, prayerfully, humbly”). In the very least though, I have shared only that which is actually textual.

No comments:

Post a Comment